Tuesday, September 22, 2009

ICAPGen

It's been a while since I wrote a new blog post. I have been mulling an idea around in my head and have now finally decided to act on it. I am currently working as a self-employed genealogy researcher. I do family history research for several firms in the Salt Lake City area. One of my goals is to become an accredited genealogist. I thought it would be fun to chronicle my progress and my preparations towards submitting my application to become an AG (accredited genealogist). The accreditation basically tells the world that you have highly specialized skills for researching in the geographic area you are accredited in. ICAPGen stands for the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists.

I have decided to begin the process by trying to attain accreditation through ICAPGen in the Mid-South region of the United States. So what states does that cover? Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Missouri, South Carolina, and West Virginia. To learn more about the accreditation process, please go to the ICAPGen website.

It won't be easy but it will be wonderful to prepare and learn all about the records and resources available for researchers in these states. I am using as my guide the book "Becoming An Accredited Genealogist: Plus 100 Tips to Ensure Your Success" by Karen Clifford. In this book the author outlines the accreditation process and includes practice test questions and activities designed to help you prepare.

I invite you to join me on a genealogical adventure as I prepare to take the AG exams. So where does the blog fit in? I will be recording the activities and preparations that I go through on my to preparing for the exam in my blog.

2 comments: